Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) I WANT YOU! Time Attack sequel

Post your game concepts for the latest contest!
K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) I WANT YOU! Time Attack sequel

Postby K-Pone » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 pm

See this Post for more info about the Time Attack sequel

Well, I hope it's not too late for submissions for the contest, and I also hope I'm allowed to make a clone of the game Lumines. If everything's alright with that, here's my game's concept:

Lumines (will get another name when it's finished, since the name Lumines is a trademark of Bandai I guess)

The game works like the Lumines you may know from the PSP or Mobile Phone (Java) version. You have blocks that you have to drop from top of the playing ground, such as you know from Tetris, but with a slight little difference: Every block is a 2x2 square that consists of blocks that have one of two colors. Now it's your turn to stack the blocks in a way that you can form as much 2x2 squares as you can made of the same color. These squares can even overlap each other. Floating blocks are not possible. When a block is attempting to float, it will drop down to the ground. There are also special blocks that will destroy all blocks of the same color that are connected to the block. This makes it even possible to destroy long lines without having to make 2x2 squares out of them. This also makes large combos possible as well.

The following game modes will be available, some of them maybe later:

• Challenge (This is the normal game mode. You just stack the blocks and try to survive as long as you can)
  • Time Attack (You can play in the modes 30 Seconds, 60 Seconds, and 120 Seconds. You try to score as many squares as you can)
  • Single Mission Mode (Try to solve a single mission. Missions can either be a specific goal in a certain amount of time or cleaning up the area with a specific sequence of blocks)
  • 5 Missions Mode (Try to solve 5 random missions on the same playing field either in a specific amount of time or just as fast as possible)
  • RPG Mode (This mode introduces Role Playing Game elements into the puzzle game. For further information about this mode, refer to the RPG Mode headline below)

RPG Mode

The RPG Mode introduces elements from the RPG Genre into the puzzle game. Those are things like leveling by experience, solving quests, earning money, and buying, using, and selling items.
In the RPG Mode you start the game as you do in the Challenge Mode. The challenge mode starts with an empty playing area. This is the same in the RPG Mode. You aren't playing for a level up by simply removing simple 2x2 squares of the same color, you get a level up as soon as you gained certain amount of experience. 2x2 Squares will give you experience as well, but this will definitely take much too long to level up. You can get much more experience by accepting quests. Quests are quite similar to the missions in the Mission Modes. When you solve a quest, you'll gain experience and you can also get money this way. This mode also contains special blocks. These are:
  • Treasure Chest: When you destroy a treasure chest block in a 2x2 square, you'll gain a bonus (either experience or money).
  • Cash Block: The Cash Block contains a trader. When you destroy this block in a 2x2 square, you will be able to buy or sell items from a shop. Items will be sold for the half price.
  • TNT Block: A TNT Block will destroy all the blocks inside a 5x5 square whilst the TNT block is the center of it.
  • Save Block: The Save Block will let you save the game. You can continue the game later then, but remeber: When you loaded a save game, the save state will get lost until you save again.
  • Quest Block: When you destroy this block, you'll get a quest. You can either accept it or decline it. Accepting a quest that is timebased can be a risk because you have to solve the quest or you will lose experience. Losing experience won't de-level you.
The game is over when you place a block over the top of the level. This applies for all of the game modes.

So, I hope it's not too late for a sign up.

I finally made a decision on it's name: I will name it Squatrominati. Luckily Google doesn't find anything on Squatrominati, so I guess this name has never ever been used for anything.

NOTE: For the Arcade contest I will only implement the Challenge Mode and the Time Attack Mode first. If I still have enough time then I will also try to implement the Mission modes. The RPG Mode definitely comes after the Arcade Contest.
Last edited by K-Pone on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) Click Here Image

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: Lumines Clone for Arcade Contest (?)

Postby Mr.Numbers » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Trust me, you defiantly met the deadline :P

I think ive heard of this game before, sounds like alot of fun :D

Btw, there should be no copyright issues as long as everything is custom (or freeware/not the original) and the name is changed :)

I really hope you finish this! :D
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Re: Lumines Clone for Arcade Contest (?)

Postby K-Pone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 am

Mr.Numbers wrote:I really hope you finish this! :D

I hope as well ;)

OK, everybody, the first screenshot is available now. Please don't tell me it's a little bit buggy, I know it's buggy, but somehow it looks quite funny. So, here it is:
Engine001 2011-04-26 23-23-16-34.png
First buggy screenshot

UPDATE!
And some positive news: Stacking and shuffling the blocks works pretty fine now.
Engine001 2011-04-27 00-17-29-84.png
Works better now

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Lumines Clone for Arcade Contest (Squatrominati)

Postby Fireleaf » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Cool! I've never played anything like this before, but it looks very impressive.
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Re: Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) VIDEO PREVIEW!

Postby K-Pone » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:16 pm

A video preview of the game is out now!

The sounds may be changed later. This is how it looks now.

In case you can't see the video for some reason, here's a screenshot of the current version:

Engine001 2011-04-30 20-40-17-27.png
Squatrominati

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:42 pm

That's pretty darn cool.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Ohh, looks really addicting :D
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sun May 01, 2011 4:35 am

Mr.Numbers wrote:Ohh, looks really addicting :D

This.
Looking great! :D
RPG mode sounds pretty interesting too. :)

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Sun May 01, 2011 8:43 am

Yes, RPG Mode is some special kind of game mode, but it is the game mode I will add when the other game modes are working. So, if you want to play the RPG Mode you have to be patient. I first need to make the other game modes working and trying to fix the visual glitch that happens when you place a block. You can see it one or two times occuring in the video as well.

EDIT: And a preview of the Time Attack Mode is now available too.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am

Good job...

I've never played Lumines... And I don't like Tetris... :(

Next

Return to Contest Games