FAQ's

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Xzu
Distinguished 001 Member

FAQ's

Postby Xzu » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:29 am

Alright, this is going to be a collection of previous threads that have answered commonly asked questions on this board. They will be sorted into categories and subcategories according to the layout of Map001. Please, do not post until each category has a placeholder.

This collection will not only include links to previous topics, but will also answer new questions that may arise as time progresses.

These categories will be:

I. Settings viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3535&start=0#p30894
    a. What are Settings?
    b. Main Menu
    c. Visual

II. Scripting viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3535&start=0#p30895
    a. What is Scripting?
    b. What are Variables
    c. What are Switches?
    d. System Scripts

1. Intro Scripts
    e. Event-based Scripting
    1. Explanation of Events
    f. Examples / Scripts
    g. Cool Scripts
    III. Resources viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3535&start=0#p30896
    a. What are Resources?
    b. Tile-sets
    1. What is a Tile-set?
    2. How do I place tile-set tiles?
    3. How do I make a tile-set?
    c. Environmental Objects
    1. What is an Environmental Objects?
    2. How do I place an environmental object?
    3. How do I make an environmental object?
    d. Characters
    1. What is a character?
    2. How do I position a character?
    3. How do I make a character?
    e. Vehicles
    1. What is a vehicle?
    2. How do I place a vehicle?
    3. How do I make a vehicle?
    f. Turrets and Cameras
    1. What is a turret and/or camera?
    2. How do I place a turret and/or camera?
    3. How do I make a turret and/or camera?
    g. Dynamic Objects
    1. What is a dynamic object?
    2. Uses for dynamic objects
    3. How do I make a dynamic object?
    h. Items
    1. What is an item?
    2. How do I place an item?
    3. How do I make:
    - A melee weapon
    - A distance weapon
    - A form of magic
    - A piece of equpment
    - A non-weapon item (potions, shovels, etc.)
    i. Fonts
    1. What are fonts?
    2. How do I upload/change fonts in Map001?
    j. Clothing/Equipment?
    1. What is clothing and/or Equipment?
    2. How do I place clothing and/or Equipment on a character?
    k. How to make Resources
    l. Resource Programs
    m. Submitting Resources
    n. Downloading Resources

IV. Identities viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3535&start=0#p30897
    a. Party System
    1. What is the Party System?
    2. Using the Party System
    b. Statistics
    1. What are Statistics?
    2. Using Statistics
    c. Team Alliances

1. What are Team Alliances?
    2. Using Team Alliances
    V. Music and Sounds viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3535&start=0#p30898
    a. Where to Put Sound Files
    b. How to Change Sounds
    c. Where to get Sounds
    d. Using Sounds

VI. Zones viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3535&start=0#p30899
    a. Definition of a Zone
    b. Using Zones

VIII. Animations viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3535&start=0#p30900
    a. Character Animation
    b. Dynamic Object Animation
    c. Tile-set Animation

IX. Errors viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3535&start=0#p30901
    a. Errors and their Fixes
    X. The New Update
    a. Explanation of the Update
    XI. Your Game
    a. Building your game

These categories will each have their own post, and information on each category and subcategory will be posted there. Again, please, do not post until each category has its own post.

Also, please feel free to add to the list, or post what needs changed.

*NOTE* This list is a work in progress. Also, I will better organize it when I have more time.
Last edited by Xzu on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:04 am, edited 10 times in total.
Untitled Game.
Currently Working On: Resources - Weapons
Weapon Progression: 14/56

Xzu
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: FAQ's

I. Settings

A. What are settings?

Settings determine what the main menu of your game looks like, and what colors you in game menus have.

B. Main Menu

The Main Menu is what appears when you run your game. It consists of: the Window Title, Start New Game button, Load Saved Game button, Video Options button, Detail Options button, Input Options button, Sound Options button, Voice Options button, Website button, Quit button, and a footer.

When you edit your main menu, you not only have the option to change what these buttons say, but you also have the option to remove the non-required buttons all together. At the same time, you have the option to set if your game defaults to full screen, allows the player to toggle full screen on and off, allow the player to change the resolution of the game, set the default resolution, allow input changes, and default to voice enabled. You also have the option to set the music that plays at the main menu and insert the URL for the website of your game.

Location of the Main Menu button in Map001
: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2154 ... tonxx5.jpg
The Main Menu editing screen: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2552 ... 001pg2.jpg

C. Visuals

What are visuals? Visuals are what the player sees when he or she views one of the menus, as well as icons that appear throughout the game (Action Icons, Enemy Health Icons, Damage Number Icons, and Object Shadow Icons). At the Visuals menu in Map001, you can change the background color, border color, text color, text shadow color, disabled text color, disabled selector color, unselected text color, unselected selector color, selected text color, and the selected selector color, as well as toggle each of the four listed icons off and on.

Location of the Visuals button in Map001
: http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8602 ... tonkj7.jpg
The Visuals editing screen: http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4817 ... enumr0.jpg
Last edited by Xzu on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Untitled Game.

Xzu
Distinguished 001 Member

II. Scripting

A. What is scripting?

When you say the word scripting, you may think of the word script. Scripting is writing a script for your game. Very much like a movie or play, it says what going to happen in your game. For example, in a movie, one actor might have to say a line, such as "I'll be back" then jump out of a glass window only to have the building he was just in explode. Although it is easy to write on paper, it is harder to script. Just like the special effects in a movie, you have to go through and design each little thing that will happen in your game. Fortunately, Mike and Pierre have provided us with an easy way to script our games.

B. What are variables?

You should have listened to your mother when she said do your homework. Remember algebra? The whole "2+x=4, find x" thing? The x in that problem was the variable. It was a place holder for a number in the equation, where as it will be a place holder for information in your game. Variables can be used in many useful ways, such as having the player name their character at the beginning of the game, and making Non Playable Character's (NPC's) say the name throughout the game, be it "John" or "Adoavsonjkalvnd"

C. What are switches?

Switches are exactly what they sound like, a switch. They can be used to do various things. A good example of what a switch can do is toggle lights off and on.

D. What are system scripts?

System scripts are scripts executed in the game everytime the game is ran or a weapon is used. It tells the game how to start, and how a weapon does damage, and what happens when it does. One example of a system script is "Weapon Damage". Lets take a look at this script.

Weapon Damage Script http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3315/ssih0.th.jpg

Alright, in the top left corner of "Weapon Damage" we have a box that says "Start". This is where the script for weapon damage will start off with. The first box is saying "hurt" indicating when a weapon is used on a player, to hurt the player by following this script.

The second box says "dmg=user's atk". This informs the game to take the amount of damage the attacker does, and use that to hurt the player. Instead of directly hurting them with this, it goes on, as to make damage from weapons as random as possible.

The next box says "half damage". That pretty much says it all. It causes the attacker to do half the damage he can do at a maximum.

The third box takes a look at the amount of defenses the defender has. The fourth box tell the game to take a quarter of the defenders defense to use in the script.

The fifth box says to take the damage the attacker is doing, and subtract the quarter amount of defense.

Now we come to a comparison branch. This will have have the attack lead to one of the two endings. The first ending, the left box, says the player does 0 damage.

When the player attacks, it will not harm the defender. However, the second box says when the player attacks, and it does do damage, take the amount of damage the attacker is currently doing (half of the attack- quarter of the defense) and then add or subtract 1-20% of that amount to the attack.

(Thanks to Dojan5 for weapon scripts)

E. Event-Based Scripting

Mike and Pierre have provided us with a very simple way to script our games, Event-based scripting(EBS). EBS is exactly what it sounds like. You link together various events to make your game function. EBS is easy to learn and use, and will be used frequently in your game, whether you are talking to a NPC or planting a bomb to make a building explode.

EBS is currently split into 16 categories. These categories are: Structure, System, Characters, Party Members, Doors, Vehicles, Turrets/Cameras, Timers/Spawns, Dynamic Objects, Lights, Zones, Maps, Camera, Audio, Retail, and Miscellaneous. What each category covers is pretty obvious, so lets move on to the actual scripting part.

F. Examples / Scripts

Here are some scripts that can help you out:

Switch maps:

1) Alright, first off, assuming you have your maps, you need to lay a zone. Hit the zone button, and lay a strip of zone across the intended map change location. It should look similar to this:

img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zonelr0.jpg

2) Alright, now that we have the zone laid, we should have a menu pop up. On this menu, double click the "Touched By Character" option. The needed option is highlighted in this image:

img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=touchedew4.jpg

3) Alright, easy step. All we need to do is insert an event. Look at the bottom of the window that just popped up. There should be a button that says, "Insert Event". Hit this button. If you can not find this button, it looks like this:

img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=insertrh9.jpg

4) Alright, now we want the zone to position the character elsewhere. We select the position character option to do so. Double click the option that looks like this:

img216.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... iondl6.jpg

5) A new window will pop up. First, we want to set what map the character will switch to. For this example, we want Map 02. However, in your own project, it will be under a different name :P. Highlight the desired map, like so:

img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=intendedmp6.jpg

6) Now, we see a little window filled with the map we selected. Click where on the map you want the character to be placed. The indicated spot will be shown as a blue box, like so:

mg237.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... on2xa9.jpg

7) Now we must choose the direction we want the player to be facing after he has entered the zone and switched maps. You generally want him facing the opposite direction of where he just came from(ex: He walked left, thus when he switches maps, he stays facing left), but it is your game. Choose a direction. For this example, we choose right.

img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... ionva6.jpg

8) Alright, click 'Ok' until you get to the menu where it has the 'insert event' button. The window should look similar to this:

img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=completenn7.jpg

9) There we go. The player should now switch maps when he walks over the intended zone. An example of such a transition is this:

img130.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ionpc3.jpg

Change Items (Water and Grapes to Wine)

trainwreck1 wrote:Make a fountain. Put a Zone Script over it. in the "When pressed next to" script do this:

START
-Item Branch("Jug")
--YES
---Msg Box["Would you like to fill your jug with water?" | YES | No |]
----YES
-----Add/Remove Item["Main" "Jug" Alteration: -1(remove)]
------Add/Remove Item["Main" "Jug of Water" Alteration: 1(remove)]

Then in the "Jug of Water" when used script, do this:

START
-Item Branch["Grape"]
--YES
---Msg Box["What would you like to do?" |Make Wine| Drink Water]
----Make Wine
-----Add/Remove Item["Main" "Jug of Water" Alteration: -1]
------Add/Remove Item["Main" "Grape" Alteration: -1]
-------Add/Remove Item["Main" "Jug of Wine" Alteration: 1]
----Drink Water
------Add/Remove Item["Main" "Jug" Alteration: 1]
-------Change Player Health["Add" "+3(you may change this to make the water heal more/less)]

The "grapes" "when used" script:

START
-Item Branch["Jug of Water"]
--YES
---Msg Box["What would you like to do?" |Make Wine| Eat Grape]
----Make Wine
------Add/Remove Item["Main" "Grape" Alteration: -1]
-------Add/Remove Item["Main" "Jug of Wine" Alteration: 1]
----Eat Grape
-----Add/Remove Item["Main" "Grape" Alteration: -1]
------Change Player Health["Add" "+5(you may change this to make the grape heal more/less)]

The Wine's "When Used" script:

START
-Add/remove item["Main" "Jug of Wine" Alteration: -1]
--Add/remove item["Main" "Jug" Alteration: 1]
---Change Player Health["add" "+10(you may change this to make the wine heal more/less)]

(Thanks Trainwreck1!)

How to make the player enter his/her name.

DungeonLord wrote:Code: Select all
This one i dont suppose I can say I made it. Mike helped me with this one a long while back
Okay, first of all here is how to well ..... make a name chaning box.
1) Create a variable...call it something like Char_Name
2) Make a Input box in your Intro script.
3) Save your Input from the Input Box into the Varianle Char_Name or whatever you called it.
4) Now find the script item called "Change Name"
5) Where it says name: 0 press the button next to it and select the variable Char_Name
6) Now your name is changed! You can insert it in text by pressing the button above the box and going to -+Main
-+Member
-Name

DungeonLord wrote:The Simple Quest Making Guide (which is not really simple)

Code: Select all
This is a script I made myself. I do not think someone has posted something similar to it.
Okay, you need to have quite a lot of experience with the engine for this.
1) Place your quest giver character.
2) Place the person that needs to be talked to or the person/thing that needs to be killed.
3) Create a Variable called QUEST_NAME <<obviously replaced it with the quest name>>
4) Now on your thign that needs to be killed open up the "Killed" script.
5) Now make a variable operation to QUEST_NAME of plus 1.
6) Now ony our quest giver set up the quest.
7) Make a once branch and put a text box describing the quest
Note) In this example I am working as you have to kill 10 of something
8) On the other side of the once branch and create a comparison branch.
9) In that comparison branch insert the variable you are using as the expression
10) Then make the Operator <<Grater than or Equal>>
11) Then make the value (or the bottom box whatever it is) 10 (or whatever the amount that you wanted to kill was.
Edit: Never knew we had this cool scripting item .... at the end of a quest use the "Change Experience" script to give the player a reward for completing the quest.

(Thanks DungeonLord!)

G. Cool Scripts
Last edited by Xzu on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:03 am, edited 9 times in total.
Untitled Game.

Xzu
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Xzu » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:30 am

III. Resources

A. What are Resources?

Resources are the items, background, and basically any image that you see in the game. It can range from a weapon to a tree. Often, these are made by the maker of the game, or a partner, but Map 001 comes with default resources.

Different Resource Types:
Tile-Sets
Environment
Characters
Vehicles
Turrets/Cameras
Dynamic Objects
Common Items

B. Tile-sets

1. What is a Tile-set?

A tile-set is like a big picture with things on it, which you will use to make maps, areas, buildings, etc. It is the tiles that make up the game world. Anything you see in the game world that is part of the map is generally part of a tile set.

(Thanks Helltrum!)

2. How do I place tile-set tiles?

3. How do I make a tile-set?

C. Environmental Objects

1. What is an Environmental Objects?
An environmental object is an individual object that makes up the game environment, such as a tree, stop sign, or street light.

2. How do I place an environmental object?

3. How do I make an environmental object?

D. Characters

1. What is a character?

2. How do I position a character?

3. How do I make a character?

E. Vehicles

1. What is a vehicle?

2. How do I place a vehicle?

3. How do I make a vehicle?

F. Turrets and Cameras

1. What is a turret and/or camera?

2. How do I place a turret and/or camera?

3. How do I make a turret and/or camera?

G. Dynamic Objects

1. What is a dynamic object?

2. Uses for dynamic objects.

3. How do I make a dynamic object?

H. Items

1. What is an item?

2. How do I place an item?

3. How do I make:
- A melee weapon
- A distance weapon
- A form of magic
- A piece of equpment
- A non-weapon item (potions, shovels, etc.)

I. Fonts

1. What are fonts?

2. How do I upload/change fonts in Map001?

J. Clothing/Equipment?

1. What is clothing and/or Equipment?

2, How do I place clothing and/or Equipment on a character?

K. How to make Resources

Dunce wrote:How To: Make Resources

Ok, this is a good one. Have you ever wanted to
make a character, but didn't know what to do? Or
maybe you wanted to make a weapon or another
item. Well I'll show you how.

Characters/Clothes

Ok, to start out, click on "Characters". (link to pic)
Then this should pop up(link to pic). This is your
menu for the character/clothing resources. First we will
just do a test. Click on "male" under the "Bodies" section.
Now under your menu, some pictures will appear.(link to pic)
Now right click a picture and then these should appear:

Cancel: This is obvious

Replace: This will allow you to insert a picture in place of this one

Edit: This opens mspaint(or other editing program you have) so you
can edit the picture.
WARNING: when editing, whatever you do to the pic,
and then exit will change the picture, so be careful.

View: This will bring up a window with the picture in it.

Export: This allows you to save the picture so you can edit it, without
messing up the existing resource

Clear: this clears the picture in that selected box

Now that that is out of the way we can start to edit.
What I recommend is for you to export a picture of a
male/female or a item before editing. But before that,
click on the "ADD" (link to pic) button under "Bodies"
and this will add a new resource. Now export the picture
of the male up frames and go to MS Paint(or any other image
editing program) and open the exported file.

Edit your new character/monster's up frame to your hearts desire. Now
repeat this for each frame, export from the male as a template
then open it in paint (you don't have to do the left frames) .
Now to put the frames in your new characters just click the
box for the up frame and then click replace. do this
for each frame.

IMPORTANT: Don't draw the right arm for your
character/monster, that is the close arm, I'll show you now.
The close arm is the right arm which holds and uses weapons/items. You just export and edit the arm then replace them in your new character/monster.

Also, if you want to, also edit the action and slashing frames for the stomach far arm, and close arm.

SET ACTION POINTS:
It does what is says, you click and then set the point for the
actions of your character/monster.

For clothing it is the same way, copy the frames for editing then
replace them in your new clothing resource.

(Thanks to Dunce for this!)

L. Resource Programs

Here is a list of programs you can edit images with to make programs:

[list=]GIMP: gimp.org/
Ultimate Paint: ultimatepaint.com/
ArtRage: ambientdesign.com/artrage.html
ArtWeaver: artweaver.de/index.php?en_version
BrushStrokes: pabird.supanet.com/
iMage: memecode.com/image.php
ImageForge:cursorarts.com/ca_imffw.html
Paint.Net: getpaint.net/index.html[/list]

M. Submitting/Exporting Resources

N. Downloading/Importing Resources

Downloading resources and putting them into Map001 has been much easier thanks to update v1.2.009! Where you once had to find what type of file belonged where, you can now have Map001 automatically sort them.

First, merely click the resources tab in Map001
(Resources Tab: http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ceslg1.png)

On your screen, there should be these words: http://img61.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wordskx9.png

Choose the resource(s) you want, and drag them on to the words (I did two resources for this example). If you did it correctly, then a pop up menu should appear, looking similar to this: http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... reeom2.png

Congratulations, the resources are now in the game, in the correct locations!
Last edited by Xzu on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Untitled Game.

Xzu
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Xzu » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:30 am

IV. Identities
Untitled Game.

Xzu