Blocking/moving of specific actors

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
fma_lvr
001 Subscriber

Blocking/moving of specific actors

Postby fma_lvr » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:16 pm

I'll have to explain this one:

I had an issue in which actors would spawn inside of others and become stuck in one another. I'm not sure if that's a bug or not, but as a workaround, I've been simply making sure enemies won't spawn that way.
However, for a large boss battle situation, with smaller enemies spawning in, I found that, if the boss were to move to the spot where a minion would spawn, it would shoot up into the air a bit and float there, still moving.

That's especially strange, so then I wanted to simply block the huge boss actor from a part of the map....yet using the "enable blocking" feature of a Zone and selecting ONLY that actor template seems to still block the player character as well, which I do not want to happen; an invisible barrier for a huge enemy is fine in this case, but to block the player it looks ridiculous.

Okay, so I need a solution to this problem, and I'm hoping somebody understands this because if I have a better way of dealing with it that doesn't involve using block zones, that's fine.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: Blocking/moving of specific actors

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Can you upload a picture of your blocked window, and ensure 100% that only the template associated with the boss is selected? I am unable to reproduce the issue on my end.
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

fma_lvr
001 Subscriber

Postby fma_lvr » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:23 pm

It seems I jumped the gun with this as well. I went back into it and I somehow managed to select all actors apparently. does your main player actor count as 'character' by the way? I expect so. I mean, it would be cool if I can easily block all enemies without blocking the player actually.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm

I believe the default template does set your player character to the template "Character". You could always make a separate "Player" template so you can block/not block just the player though! You could even make it a child of the "Character" template to make sure all the scripts properly transfer over.

Mage42

Postby Mage42 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:15 am

Can you not use the collision check branch to see if there's anything colliding with the spot you wish to spawn your enemies into? If there's space spawn it, if not don't spawn it?

Return to Technical Support Questions