Physics Engine Needed

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
My Game Company

Physics Engine Needed

Postby My Game Company » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Is there a way that I can make decent physics in a game?? such as if I jump to hit a ball in the corner, it makes that ball bounce in that corner then comes back down?? if so can some one please elaborate on how? Thanks!! have a steam game idea...

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: Physics Engine Needed

Postby Mr.Numbers » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 am

Unfortunately adding any custom physics to 001 requires a ton of work and requires the know-how of how physics in general work. I made a topic quite a while ago documenting my experience with trying to add custom physics to 001 here:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27963

It's quite a daunting task, and there would be no easy way to really help more than what is found in the above topic. This is getting into some really advanced stuff, and not entirely practical as the engine is not designed to handle this easily.

TL;DR:
It's possible, but really hard.
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Physics Engine Needed

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 am

To highlight on Number's point, you can very much create your own physics engine in a very flexible way, so long as you keep the amount of affected objects to a minimum. Minimal interactions such as that of basic geometric objects don't require too much reading and 001 can handle it rather well as of recent updates. Numbers has contributed to this topic in 001 rather extensively, so refer to his post if you have any questions. Sadly for all, physics work best when scripted internally; external (manipulated) code in 001 is not as efficient and thus the potential performance issues with negligent use.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Return to Technical Support Questions