Resource Making Tips!

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
Gameboy

Re: Resource Making Tips!

Postby Gameboy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:31 am

sinjin48 wrote:What does that have to do with resource making?

Good question i thought it would be ok here? but where would you like me to instead..?

sinjin48
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby sinjin48 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:01 am

Resource section preferably. Just make a request topic.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

meeta

Postby meeta » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:11 pm

Gameboy wrote:Does anyone know if there is a website that has free sounds tat are VIRUS -FREE!? I had to get my pc rebooted because of thousands of virues please help thanks.. :|

how can sound files give you viruses
protip exe files aren't sounds
also yes thousands of virus? just reboot that'll fix it... not...

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:10 pm

People attach viruses to the file, or simply claim a virus is a different sort of file.

But back on topic.

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Three tips for folks if any of these are helpful. (yes, I know... big bump here from the last post)

If you want to make an item based on something in history, take the time to research out what the item looked like and how it was used, as well as what it was called and worth. It's also always worth it to do a google search for images of your item and look at those images as a base for what you want to do. This applies to almost any content you can imagine. Working on a knight? Search for pictures of medieval armor and even get some library books (ones with pictures are recommended) on knights and medieval combat. Don't have the time? Wikipedia often has most of the answers and is generally reliable.

Be sure to practice making items regularly so you don't get out of practice. If you want to be good, you'll have to work a lot on the side. Try setting goals such as 'make an item every week and a sprite every two weeks' and be sure to keep practicing. Even without any guidebooks or help, you can become a good digital artist just by trying and constantly working on harder and more advanced projects.

When previous methods of trying to do something doesn't work, don't be afraid to try a new method! There are many ways to get to the end result of a resource item, even ways beyond your monitor. Try visualizing your item or resource first by searching for images or existing items. Drawing the item or resource out on large graph paper (1inx1in squares or 3cmx3cm squares) or even making the item using modeling clay or craft materials will allow you to get a rough draft done before making it (many professional prop makers use several stages of 'mock-ups' before making the real item).

Previous

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design