Resource Making Tips!

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
Zarthan
001 Fanatic

Re: Resource Making Tips!

Postby Zarthan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:56 pm

hand shaded sure, it shows a lot more texture and realism.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:16 pm

The gradient tool looks awful in that case because it's using so few colours.

To be fair, the gradient tool can be used as a basis, to which you could apply another tool, such as "noise" or what have you, to get an impressive effect like the first object and third object. The second object could be pure gradient, if used in sections.

Zarthan
001 Fanatic

Postby Zarthan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Gradient tool is helpfull, but people want to use it for everything when it should be used just as a base or few objects. So after you make an object with gradient, stop and think, does it really looks like what you wanted?

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:46 pm

You can use the gradiant tool to make some surfaces looking more realistic. You can also adjust the opacity of the gradiant tool to about 20 to 50 percent, then it could look like the light is shining on it. If it doesn't look as like as you wanted it to look like, undo it and try again. Remember: The light normally shines from the top-left side, and if you're drawing in 3D it is shining from the front-top-left.
Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) Click Here Image

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:10 pm

I still think the gradient tool is evil :evil:

Anyway, i just noticed that i find it kind of annoying when people post the same resource over and over again only with different color. Especially when its just a normal unusable item with only one graphic and very few shades. Im not saying that i havent done that myself, i just think people should try not to do it unless its requested, nessecary or if the item has different properties, otherwise its mostly just spamming the resource section. Its just my own opinion though i dont excpect anyone to agree
Last edited by Ixayou on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Zarthan
001 Fanatic

Postby Zarthan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:02 pm

I agree with you, it makes hard searching for an specifict resource and almost everybody has image editors with HUE and collor changing sections.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Aye, I'm too lazy to recolor it myself though. :P
I do... somewhat agree though, just because the hilt of the sword has a gem on it, recolored three times; Does it need to be uploaded with the same stats? Couldn't you make it a different sword? Though I do think that if it's like the sword itself is Silver, Brass, Gold, Blue, Red, etc... You could upload those individually, though in all it all depends on who's downloading it. I've had a resource and I've changed the stats before, but It's still credited.
It's also another thing to have the same built in resource, just different stats and a changed name.
For instance -
Sword: 100 dollars, 128px range, 10 dmg. [Default Sword Graphic]
Sword of Strength: 500 dollars, 128px range, 15 dmg. [Default Sword Graphic]

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Distinguish between real-life'ish and realistic

Often when people hear the word 'realistic' they always think about stuff looking like taken from real life (ex. ripped a google picture of a real item)

Realistic means that the picture you are looking at, or the map you are playing in feels as if it could have been real, and that it is easy for the eye to understand. All of the graphics has to go together so that they look like they are all from the same place (instead of cartoony one place and pillow shaded another place).

I am saying this because some people say like "i am going to make the most realistic game ever! all i have to do is rip pictures from google and use them", and "realistic? no way dude i am making a cartoony game, so i dont need to make it realistic at all!"

This is a shame, because by only using pictures from google, you make the picture hard to understand for the eye, because there is just a lot of pictures over and over eachother. I am not saying its a bad thing to use reallife pictures, but i am saying that some people doesnt put effort into making all the graphics look well together, then it still clash even though the pictures are somewhat the same quality. You still need to think about shades and such even though your resource is already there and looks good alone. More on shading below.

By making it cartoony, you still have to give the player the feel of walking on a map. This is usually done by using the right colors, wich means no detailing is needed so it will still look cartoony even though its more realistic (same goes for reallife resources). What most people do when they make a cartoony game, is that they use too many complementary colors with eachother. This will result in poking the players eyes out! You need to give the eyes something comfortable to look at, and you do this by using brighter/complementary colors on items or areas that are higher up than the rest, then usually the stuff on the ground can be a little darker and less contrast. That way the eye can easily understand what is what, and this makes it more comfortable for the player.

(btw, dont use black for shades. try using dark blue and purple, it will give more deapth ;) )
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Gameboy

Postby Gameboy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:14 am

Does anyone know if there is a website that has free sounds tat are VIRUS -FREE!? I had to get my pc rebooted because of thousands of virues please help thanks.. :|

sinjin48
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby sinjin48 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 am

What does that have to do with resource making?
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

PreviousNext

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design