Rome: The Lost Legacy

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Samulis
001 Fanatic

Rome: The Lost Legacy

Postby Samulis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 am

Howdy all,
A few weeks ago, I began work on a new game- an 2.5D RTS (real-time strategy) based on a fantasy-twisted history of Ancient Rome. My goal with this game is to prove that 001 is capable of providing the foundations for such a complex and demanding game, for both graphics and scripting. The game is not going to be an easy build, and I will not have much free time to build it in, but I really hope I will be able to at least get a basic game going within a few months. I am creating this thread in order to keep an update on the progress of this game, and also information on how it is progressing. Feel free to ask any questions or post any feedback, ideas, or critique on the progress of the game, I really would love to hear it all! :D

Plot and Contents
The game is mainly set during the height of Ancient Rome. Units will change based on the "Age" of Rome you are in, and so will enemies! I plan to create a campaign trail that explores the misadventures of a lost Roman legion and their rise to power in a fantasy realm and provides some really fun gameplay in the meantime. Content for the BETA will most likely only be a tutorial and perhaps 1-3 levels of Campaign.

Current Progress
Presently I have completed the basic menus and interfaces, including in-game menus, the HUD, main menu, setup screens, and settings screens. These have all been tested and scripted. In addition, I have also created the foundation of the tutorial map and a testing map. Regarding assets, I have scripted the selection of a house building and the selection and movement of a villager unit. I have added, but not yet scripted the features of a storage building, a temple, and a barracks. I still need to plan out units for the game. Kisub has been helping with scripting gathering and LoS, which is awesome.

Screenshots and Art
Here are a few screenshots from the game so far, as well as some of the art from the assets. Note that the villager asset is most likely just a placeholder for now. ALL of the art you see is custom, including the background images and interfaces. Note that most of the models at this point were created by Arteria3D, a very talented 3D modeller, and that I have purchased royalty-free rights to the works used in this game.
roma_menu.jpg
Main Menu
romans_newHUD.PNG
HUD and new LoS example
loading screen.png
Loading Screen
roman_temple2.png
An iso render of the temple, created by Arteria3D (only front view used, but this gives you a sense of what it looks like in full).

Thanks for reading! Once again, it will be a while until I get a BETA out, but expect regular updates on progress!
-Samulis
Last edited by Samulis on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Re: Rome: The Lost Legacy [looking for Scripter!]

Postby Adam » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 pm

You've got a a thing for Roman architecture, don't you? :P
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Adam wrote:You've got a a thing for Roman architecture, don't you? :P

Maaaybe... :roll:

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:53 pm

How's the progress for your game? I'm intrigued with the screenshots, but I'm more vamped to hear about the main character or the player's situation in the setting. Keep up the impressive work! ;)

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:02 pm

serrafina wrote:How's the progress for your game? I'm intrigued with the screenshots, but I'm more vamped to hear about the main character or the player's situation in the setting. Keep up the impressive work! ;)

No one really seems interested in helping with it, so I've mostly given up on this... :(

I am planning on giving it a bit more work this summer when I have more time.

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 am

What do you need in terms of scripting?

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 am

A lot... I was figuring I'd make it into a collaboration- I would handle the assets, then someone else would do most of the programming work. I have the basics of training, movement, camera motion, and interfaces down. Still needing to be done are resource gathering, team configuration, very basic AI, and building.

I'm presently building it in a Dropbox, let me know if you want access to look through the files and see if you are interested. I am open to changing the direction of the game too.

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: AW: Rome: The Lost Legacy [looking for Scripter!]

Postby kerub » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Very basic AI? What about advanced AI? :D

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Re: Rome: The Lost Legacy

Postby Samulis » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Only if you know how to do one. :P

Roma is back under way. I redid the HUD a bit to make things display easier and better, and Kisub has already made some awesome progress towards gathering. Together we've also been working towards the LoS aspect, an early test of which you can see below.

roma_progress.PNG
Roma early WIP of LoS and wood gathering

joedapro67
001 Fanatic

Re: Rome: The Lost Legacy

Postby joedapro67 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:17 pm

Looks amazing, Can't wait to see more.

Next

Return to Games In Progress