The Hoplite [BETA 5 out! (1/29/11)]

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Samulis
001 Fanatic

The Hoplite [BETA 5 out! (1/29/11)]

Postby Samulis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 pm

The Fifth BETA is currently out!

Note: This game is centered around violence and history (two alike items, eh?). I would advise you not to venture further into this thread if you do not like those two elements in a game.

So I've begun work on this new game I am currently calling The Hoplite. My main goal is to create a solid game that shows the power of 3D renders as embellishment and also characters, as all embellishment and character sprites are produced as image sequences in a 3D program. Although right now it's less plot, more fighting, I will be working on making it more of a strategic and plot-based game. Here are some graphics from the game:

Some Units (not at this angle in-game):

Main Menu:

Some iso-esque renders:

Current Progress:
Sprites Created: ~12
Maps/levels: ~12
Gametime: >15 mins.

Key Features:
-High-quality Isometric-esque Graphics
-Original soundtrack
-Custom sound fx
-Lots of combat
-Each 'Front' has a far different objective
-Set in Ancient Greece; Designed to be (somewhat/a little) historically accurate
-Animated trees

Soundtrack (several selections):
Code: Select all
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/429735
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/421742
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/428719

Version 1.01 (BETA 5) is the latest build. Please upgrade if your version is from before 1/29/12.

Updates over 0.97a:

-New sprites: Hoplite2, Hoplite3, Horseman (commander), Amazon, Skeleton.
-Additional Music.
-Opening Titles.
-Credits Screen.
-God Powers.
-Start of the Quest for the Three Relics.
-About six more maps (at least six more planned).
-Various fixes and balancing changes.

-----
CONTROLS:
WASD/Arrows OR Left mouse button for movement.
Left CTRL OR RMB for attack.
1 and 2 on the keyboard to eat an apple or piece of meat, respectively.
ESC to bring up the personal menu.

-----
PLEASE give feedback and rate the game. You are welcome to give feedback in the forum topic, via a PM or email, or on the game page itself.

-Samulis
Last edited by Samulis on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 19 times in total.

noeneto123
001 Subscriber

Re: The Hoplite [Early Development]

Postby noeneto123 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:29 pm

Beautiful graphics, how you make it? :shock: This game is will a great game on future! ;)

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Re: The Hoplite [Early Development]

Postby Samulis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 pm

I rendered the graphics in a 3D program called iClone. It took a bit of work to get the Isometric effect to work, but I think they came out well.

All of the structures were made from scratch by myself. Several costumes were made using template elements and pieces made by other 3D graphic artists.

[UPDATE] Animated trees have been added; +1 level.
[UPDATE] Three sprites added.

BETA is out!

I've tested the heck out of the thing, and my brain's about to explode, some some other eyes on it would be great.
Last edited by Samulis on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

SBG
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: The Hoplite [BETA out!]

Postby SBG » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Awesome job! The animation is just fantastic! I especially love the animated trees. The graphics fit well with the default grounds.

Some things that need touching up:

The text to speech is OUT OF HAND. I had three different voices going at the same time. I only played it once so I'm not sure how it is with t2s disabled.

The left/right idle animation gets cut off at the top.

I thought I was kicking ass on the first mission, but I failed. Not sure why. Also I couldn't really do the mission after that because I couldn't see a whole lot through the fog and amount of npcs.

Too many enemies spawning, couldn't really tell what was what and all I could do was run around mashing ctrl, no real skill involved.

Some tileset collisions and distances need to be fixed.

Other than that, I was really really impressed. Can't wait to see more :D

(p.s. please add mouse support :) I can help if you need)
Opa!

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:10 am

I would love to add mouse support, yet I don't know how. If you want to help, that would be amazing.

The TTS is really recorded audio files... it SHOULD stop out when one exits the message box. If it doesn't, that's an issue and I can (hopefully) fix that on my end. The Merchant is the only person whose lines don't cut out. I plan to add a 'turn off speech' function in the start of the game in the whole setup dialogue (that way you can disable all speech except for the prologue), and get the difficulties working.

I ended up rushing the final level... I only played it four or five times. I'll be working on that more- cut out some NPCs, turn off some spawns, etc.

The first mission is tricky- my tip to you is to look up in the top part of the HUD every once in a while- it shows all the necessary information regarding your progress. Also, be sure to watch for enemies on the upper part of the pathway itself... there are spawns quite close by. I will turn down the fog on the Eastern front mission... my main goal was to make it so that you couldn't see much really, but there is a line between limiting a player's functionality to make things more challenging and limiting a player's ability to play.

As for walking behind the buildings, there is not a fix for that... I went through every setting possible for Lower Objects and none worked. :(

SBG
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby SBG » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:41 am

Yeah the speech does cut off when you close the message box. The problem is 001s tts is enabled by default too.

PM me with what you want to do with mouse support and I'll tell you how to do it. It's really easy once you figure it out.

Also I'm sure there is hope for the tileset issues. You should actually make them flat, except for the very back, make those tall.
Opa!

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:42 pm

I'll do some tests on setting stuff up on various levels and such for the tile set.

I will re-enable the voice settings panel. I thought it was OFF by default. :(

SBG
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby SBG » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Just played through again and beat it. Definitely one of the funnest 001 games I've played, even for how short it is. I take back what I said about too many enemies and too much fog, that made it all the more challenging :D
Opa!

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the game. I was worried some aspects would get boring or repetitive. :)

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Looks fun, I'll give it a go :D
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Next

Return to Games In Progress